Friday, March 30, 2018

Poetry Friday, Good Friday

He said I wrote about death,

by Kim Dower

and I didn't mean to, this was not
my intent.

Here's the rest of the poem and it ends this way:

I did not mean to write about death,
but rather how when something dies
we remember who we love, and we
die a little too, we who are still breathing,
we who still have the energy to survive.


Good Friday is about death, and love, and surviving.  Sunday will be about resurrection, but let's not rush ahead.  

Here's Heidi's roundup, which includes a discussion of the Progressive Poem, coming soon.  I'll be posting my line on the 17th this year. 

4 comments:

Donna Smith said...

I remember reading this poem a while ago. Thanks for sharing it today. Seems only right.

Linda Mitchell said...

Happy Easter, Ruth. Thanks for not skipping ahead. I love Easter vigil. I will think of you during vigil. Get ready for poetry month! It’s gonna be fun!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Wow. That was not her intent, but we die a little too. Excellent choice, and I wish you a deep rehearsal of that important story of death, love, resurrection.

Kay said...

Thank you for sharing this poem. It speaks to where I am this week as I watch my (small, rural) community grieve the deaths of two teens over spring break and walk with another friend as her father is dying. We seem stuck in Good Friday and will welcome the Resurrection message as it comes today.